Thursday, April 16, 2009

Green Acres, here we come!!!

We have had a desire since we first met to have a farm. Although I think a lot of our daydreaming had more to do with new and young love, and the rose colored glasses thing, there has always been a place deep inside of us that desired to get back to basics.

Since being let go from my job I have started to pursue some ideas we had been toying with. One of them was beekeeping. To my surprise John has shown a huge interest. So much so that we paid our membership fee to the local chapter and then to the state to become registered beekeepers! On top of that John has put an order in for a hive for next month. Then we start the Master Bee Keepers Program which, to my understanding, will give us the equivilant of a Master's Degree in Bee Keeping. I say coooooolllll!!!

The other idea we had played with was getting chickens for the eggs. SOOOOO, we now have 2 little Rhode Island Reds (Sarah and Lucy) and 2 little Golden Sex Links (Blondie and Ethel). They are so cute. And again to my surprise John is very into this.

Honestly, I don't know where my farmer mentality came from. I'm from Orlando and for all intents and purposes I'm a "city girl". But there's something intriguing to me about being able to plant a tiny seed and get a whole bunch of broccoli, or corn, or strawberries, etc. I LOVE the smell of earth, and good soil. If they made a perfume that smelled like it I'd wear it.

I have contemplated my infatuation and love of gardening and can come up with only one thought as to why I love it...I feel closer to God when I am tilling soil, planting seeds and new shoots, pulling weeds, pruning, tending and then harvesting.

It reminds me so much of the Christian walk. Our hearts need to be fertile soil where the seeds of God's word can be sown in, watered and fed. We sit in The Sonshine to gain vital nutrients. Sometimes there is pruning (ouch) and always there is weed pulling. But aahhh, then comes the harvest. The fruit of time spent with our Creator, love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. There are other fruits, the most precious to me being my friendship with Jesus. There's nothing like it anywhere!

I'm not a city girl. I'm not a country girl. I'm just God's girl.

Day #11 of my grateful journey I am grateful for time with my friend Gail this morning.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!! Keep fighting the good fight!! Continue to draw near to Him and He will reveal Himself more and more to you and through you!!

    Love ya Kelly,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete