Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An empty vessel

Third day in a row of my reading and you guessed it...on the money again. The title is "A Useful Vessel".

Scripture reference is Luke 9:24 "Those who give up their lives for me will have true life."

For the past few months I have felt anything but useful. Defining your value by the world's standards always sets you up to feel inferior, insecure, insignificant. But define yourself against God's word and amazing things happen.

I read a verse today that I've read and heard in sermons a bazillion times. It's where Jesus says "If people want to follow me, they must give up he things they want. They must be willing to give up their lives daily to follow me. Those who want to save their lives will give up true life. But those who give up their lives for me will have true life." Luke 9: 23-24

As I pondered this verse my eyes were opened even more to what God is doing in my life. If my days were filled with external deadlines, boss' demands, office issues, I wouldn't be able to focus on the things that I need to focus on. I wouldn't have the time to spend with God that He needs (more like I need) for me to have. I'm not saying I'm a saint or where I need to be. But I'm where I'm supposed to be. He's bringing me back to the basics. I keep hearing Him say "Just concentrate on ME. Do not worry about anything but spending time with me."

I was reminded today that I am in a place of preparation and foundation building, and that I need to be an empty vessel in order to be a useful vessel. God cannot fill me if I am full of myself.

Day #3 of my Grateful Journey I am grateful for the sunshine :)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment